Advancement In Liposuction Techniques
by Dr. Mark A. Schusterman
There have been so many evolutions in the field of plastic surgery in the past decade that it is hard to follow. Just in the field of liposuction, introduction to new techniques was enormous. For people who want to know what these techniques are and how do they work, or how efficient these are, I am going to pull all the details in this one article.
In almost every technique of liposuction a small canula like tube is being inserted into the targeted area through an incision. Later, according to the respective technique, the tissues are being loosen up, whether through ultrasound pulse, laser beam, radio frequency or water to later suction the extra fats out of the body. Even though it is used in the past, but still in some cases canula is moved back and forth to break the tissues up.
- Dry Liposuction: is named because of usage of general anesthesia. In the technique local anesthesia is not used as the patient would already be unconscious. This is the typical technique of liposuction where canula is manipulated to break up the fats. But this technique comes with complications and risks of excessive blood loss and surgery trauma along with swelling and wounds.
- Liposculpture: this technique is quiet advanced in extraction of small or medium amount of fat or improve the results of past liposuction. In this technique the canula, attached to a vacuum at one side to exert pressure, is inserted to not harm the fat surrounding the targeted area.
- Power Assisted Liposuction: this is the improvisation to the traditional technique. In this technique the canula is mechanically moved back and forth with small movements to make the surgery easier and less traumatic.
- Ultrasonic Liposuction: this technique uses two methods to remove fat layer. Both techniques use ultrasonic waves to break up the fat tissues that can be later sucked out by the canula.
- Wet Liposuction: the term is in contrast of traditional dry liposuction. In the wet technique the targeted area is numbed by local anesthesia to prevent excess blood loss
- Laser Liposuction: this is one of the new techniques in the field. The fat is melted by laser cutting technique that can be sucked out through traditional liposuction this technique includes various sub techniques like Smart Lipo, Slim Lipo, Lipo Therme etc. some work better than the others.
Some time different techniques are combined to get the desired results. Make sure to search thoroughly about the techniques and discuss these techniques with your surgeon to know better about the procedure and complications. It is normal to have risks in every surgical procedure so it is better to discuss it before hand.
While many people think of Liposuction as the miracle but there are many surgical and non surgical alternatives to remove the extra fats. Healthy diet, exercise, weight loss pills and other non surgical liposuction alternatives like Ultra shape, Vaser shape, M.E.L.T Laser Lipo, and Zerona etc are some of the alternatives to get advantage of.
PS: Don’t forget visit Dr. Schusterman’s page dedicated to Liposuction: Liposuction Houston