“Busting Common Liposuction Myths” by Dr. Castellano
by Dr. Joseph Castelllano
Despite how frequently men and women choose liposuction, there are still a number of myths surrounding lipo, both in terms of the process itself and the likely results. Here’s a closer look at some of those misassumptions, plus the true answers behind the myths.
Myth #1: Liposuction Is Just for Bellies
While it’s true that the appearance of a little tummy paunch is a big problem for many men and women, it’s not true that the belly is the only place on the body that can benefit from a little lipo.
- Reality: Liposuction can be performed nearly anywhere on the face or body. Common target areas include the “love handles,” inner and outer thighs, and the upper arms. Facial liposuction through the neck, chin and jaw can help patients look younger, plus improve the appearance of a double chin. Even isolated fat deposits on the upper back (“bra rolls”) or lower back (“muffin top”) can be resolved with liposuction.
Myth #2: Liposuction Eliminates Cellulite
- Reality: Cellulite may look like little lumps of fat from the outside, but that’s not technically what causes the bumpy appearance. Instead, the appearance of cellulite is caused by the tough web of connective tissue over the fat cells; the softer tissue is pressed up through gaps in the connective tissue, just as if pressing down a strong fish net over a soft pillow. Liposuction targets only fat cells, not the more fibrous connective tissue.
Myth #3: Lipo Will Help Me Lose Weight
Although lipo does technically remove fat cells, this surgery is not designed for larger-scale weight loss.
- Reality: Liposuction is not approved by the FDA to be marketed as a weight loss method. The best liposuction results are seen in patients who are physically in pretty good health already, which includes being at or close to their target weight. If isolated pockets of fat remain despite healthy habits, lipo effectively smoothes them away. What lipo cannot do, however, is help shed a couple dozen pounds in lieu of diet or exercise.
Myth #4: Liposuction Results Last Forever
Of all the myths surrounding lipo, this one is the trickiest because there’s a grain of truth in it. Lipo does permanently remove fat cells. But, fat cells that remain in the body can expand if you don’t eat right and exercise.
- Reality: Fat cells don’t grow back after removal through liposuction. Once they’re gone, they’re gone forever. This doesn’t mean that the remaining fat cells are no longer capable of expanding, though. After liposuction, patients are absolutely capable of regaining weight. At the same time, lipo results can be permanent as long as patients continue practicing a healthy lifestyle through a sensible diet and getting regular exercise.
Myth #5: Real Men Don’t Get Liposuction
If women make up 90 percent of liposuction patients, then who makes up the remaining 10 percent? That’s right: Men.
- Reality: In 2012, liposuction was the number one cosmetic surgery procedure for male patients according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Men do tend to target slightly different problem spots than women; in men, lipo is often performed through the male chest, the back and the love handles. However, just like in women, lipo effectively sculpts away unwanted fat from just about anyplace through the body or face.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page