“8 Dos and Don’ts of Liposuction Recovery” by Dr. Hsu
by Dr. Patrick Hsu
Liposuction is one of the top five plastic surgical procedures done in the US for 2014. More and more people are choosing liposuction to remove excess body fat which diet and exercise alone cannot eliminate. With many liposuction options, the amount of recovery time depends on what procedure is used and the amount of body fat extracted. To achieve the best results of liposuction, the following instructions should always be kept in mind.
- Do consult your doctor if you are a viable candidate for liposuction. Unfortunately, not everyone can experience the benefits of liposuction. Liposuction procedures are most suited for healthy people, preferably at least 18 years of age, who do not have serious medical conditions such as cardiac. People with good skin elasticity and non-smokers are good candidates as well.
- Do decide with your doctor which liposuction procedure is best for you to know the best way to recover. Before undergoing liposuction, one should know the many options in liposuction surgery and take into consideration the amount of recovery time it may take. There are many types of liposuction procedures and but the newest techniques are the ultrasound-assisted liposuction, and the laser-assisted liposuction which enable patients to have a shorter recovery time than the usual.
- Do minimize excessive movement after the surgery. It is important to keep in mind that undergoing liposuction may cause bruising and swelling at certain body parts. Extra and heavy movement may not help in having a faster recovery time. Strenuous activities like exercise and heavy lifting are prohibited by most surgeons since doing such may prove to be risky.
- Do have someone accompany you on the day of the surgery and the day after. Resting is a must after undergoing liposuction. The body requires rest to heal so it is good to have someone with you right after the surgery and at least a day after. Have someone to drive you around and other heavy activities you do in your normal daily routine.
- Do wear liposuction compression garments. After the procedure, loose skin will be noticeable because of the fat removed from that area. Liposuction garments put pressure on the skin and tighten it. Wearing compression garments also reduce excessive swelling and bruising.
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory medications. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications especially aspirin and ibuprofen are not recommended as pain-relievers after undergoing liposuction procedures. Taking such medications may increase the risk of bleeding complications. It also decreases the body’s immune system by impairing white blood cells, a factor essential for faster recovery.
- Do not smoke or drink within the recovery process. Cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption are strictly prohibited if you just undergone liposuction. For at least two weeks, it is a must to stay away from any nicotine products since it can hasten the speed of skin healing which may eventually lead in permanent scars. It may also cause patients coughing which brings about unwanted bleeding. Alcoholic beverages interfere with some of the medications one ought to take. It may also cause bleeding.
- Do attend post-surgical check-ups. Meeting with your doctor after your surgery helps your doctor to keep track of your progress. It is important to attend such since any inquiries regarding the recovery can be made. Complications can also be prevented.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page